Lucky Fox

I have, since I was a much younger person, always wanted a pet fox. I knew the only way this would happen would be through the extremely fortuitous chance discovery of a baby fox. Today I had this experience. While writing an email this morning I saw a tiny fox crossing the donkey pen in front of our house. The donkeys chased it into a barn stall where I found the little bugger, whimpering and scared. Not knowing if he was rabid or mean or whatever, I threw a bag on him and brought him into the house. He was pretty calm, looked healthy and seemed just really hungry. I gave him a bath, which he didn’t hate too much and then fed him some warm milk which he drank fast as hell. After all that he fell sound asleep in my arms and now I’ve basket-ed him so I can continue making cheese, jarring yogurt, etc.

cute overload

Now, the reality of the situation sets in. He smells like a skunk and I’ve discovered that fox pee smells like skunk. So that’s a bummer. Another con: will he kill our cats when he gets older? Will the other dogs kill him as a pup? Kate and I are well versed in inter-species friendliness but can we muster enough love to get a semi-wild fox to snuggle with a couple kitty-cats? Time will tell.

8 comments

1. Tiffany says:

Oh my goodness! He is adorable. I’ve always wanted a pet fox as well. I had no idea their urine smelled so awful. Good luck with him.

2. [...] there was Lucky Fox, who is now sleeping in his towel after a long walk slung around me in a makeshift foxy-bjorn. He, [...]

3. Ashley Powell says:

My grandfather had a pet fox, found in the same way you found yours. From what I remember he was a much loved and friendly pet… much like any dog. I am excited for you!

4. Sara says:

He is precious and the thought of a sweet fox friend is fun, but the reality is that he is a wild animal and you are certainly doing him (and yourselves eventually) a disservice by keeping him. I would encourage you to find a wildlife rescue that knows how to properly assess his situation, care for him, and release him back to his lovely wild life as soon as possible. Party pooper, I know, but I would hate for him to end up with a long life of confinement when he has the chance to be properly reintroduced back into his real home. Truth is his instinct will kick in at some point and put you all, and especially your animals, at risk (which will lead to his death or lifelong confinement due to being too familiar with humans to be released). Much love to you for helping him out…

5. Amanda says:

Adorable!! We need more pictures of him!

6. Katherine says:

I know they’ve recently domesticated foxes in Russia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_silver_fox) by breeding only the ones that are naturally friendly to humans, so it is possible that it may react well to animals it’s raised with, given that it is sociable now.

7. Linda and Ziggy says:

Congratulations on your new arrival – you’ll probably hear from a number of naysayers – they are well meaning – however-Lucky is very lucky – the 2 o you are far better stewards of this planet and it’s creatures than 95% of the population!!

8. zoe says:

actually-had-this-discussion-with-my-sister-Michelle-who-is-a-rehabber-in-Michigan.Foxes-raised-with-cats,dogs,-etc–will-not-kill-them—-fox-kill-to-live-(they-are-not-coyotes)—a-well-fed-fox-is-a-happy-and-content-fox.—cats-are-dangerous-because-they-can-fight!!—–we-have-a-lot-of-feral-cats-where-I-live——the-same-ones-for-many-years,as-well-as-several-foxes,–not-many-chipmunks-anymore-though:(—–get-him-his-rabies-shot!!!!don’t-know-if-they-can-get-distemper-or-not—-but-definately-rabies!!!—-just-saw-one-of-our-neighborhood-foxes-scamper-off-after-eating-birdseed-and-berries–:)