As Promised…Cuteness

Feast on this, dear internet.

I should say a few things about Lucky. First of all, he’s not a cat nor a dog. He’s a wild fox. He’s become friendly with us, but he’s not an indoor animal and I don’t want to do anything to make his life less enjoyable, wild and free. I intervened in his life only to save it; he was limping, starving and about to be crushed by donkeys when I grabbed him. In the five days since then I have, indeed, fallen in love with the little guy. He sleeps inside my sweatshirt, plays with the kittens and rudy and is generally a goofy little puppy. But he doesn’t have the benefit of generations of domesticated breeding, he may decide that this life is not for him and I hope to respect that decision if it ever comes. In the meantime, i’m going to soak this guy up like crazy.

21 comments

1. Mishiee says:

This is quite possibly the cutest thing I have seen today. He’s such a little fox!

2. robyn says:

that is the cutest photo ever !

3. Susan Turner says:

Nick!!! This little guy is insanely fetching! No wonder you’ve fallen in love. Did Kate show you the link to the Nat Geo article about the domesticated foxes in Siberia? Domestication took not hundreds of generations, but happened very, very quickly. Read it. Also, those scientists might be worth corresponding with on the topic of Lucky.

Sending LOVE. Susan (and Jack)

4. Will says:

Please provide constant updates on this little dude.

5. He is indeed a lucky fox, and you a kind soul. :)
    -Jaime

6. Mani Motorola says:

Nick, you are becoming more and more Yoda like… In a good way.. In a you commune with the forest and cute animals follow you kinda way… Not in a short, green, wrinkled, hairy ear kinda way..

You are awesome..

And so is your family, human and other.

7. Gabriella says:

So amazing! That’s a great picture! Hes so beautiful, enjoy him while you can!

8. ronke says:

Awhhhhh…this is so cute :)

9. Katie says:

Hey Nick! I’ve been reading Kate’s blog for a long time and I saw her post about the fox so I followed it over here. I love what y’all are doing with your loves and love living vicariously through you, and I hope you don’t mind a bit of friendly advice. I’m a vet down in TN and I’ve done a fair bit of wildlife rehab, and I’m sure y’all already know this but if you’re going to keep the fox just make sure that your domestic animals are up to date on their rabies and distemper vaccines, cause Lucky can definitely give it to them, even though he seems healthy. He’ll unfortunately never be truly tame, so it will be an interesting dynamic when he grows up…Good luck!

10. zigelbaum says:

Hi Katie, thanks for reading! Our kittens haven’t had any shots yet since they are only 8 weeks old. I’d like to get them and Lucky to a vet soon but am afraid no one around here will treat a fox. When do we need to get the kittens to a vet for their vaccinations?

11. Maggie Crooks says:

I saw an article not long ago in National Geographic about people who were domesticating foxes. Interesting. Anyhow, Lucky is certainly lucky to have found you. I would check with wildlife rehab centers to see if someone knows what vaccines a fox should have. Good luck with the little guy.

12. Amy says:

I was shown your picture of sleeping adorables (yes, a noun in this case) by my boyfriend and then followed some reddit posts over here to your extremely cute pictures. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing and that I’m so glad to have read the last two sentences in that paragraph. What you said was absolutely perfect and wise. I hope you all enjoy each other’s time together while it lasts!

13. Zach says:

This is adorable. I have an off topic question for you. I see your cat and dog are cuddling and getting along. I was wondering how you introduced them? I just adopted a 3year old cat from a friend and have two dogs and i’d like to let them meet but I am nervous my dogs could harm my new cat.

14. AD says:

You can vaccinate kittens at 8 weeks.

I sure hope you keep your fox, I know others may disagree…

Also, I hope you all recover from the lightening and loss of power!
    Yikes.

15. zigelbaum says:

My dog was unaccustomed to cats and, in fact, chased them viciously, until I raised two kittens around him. Somehow their adorableness cooled him off enough to be totally cool around cats now. I might introduced an older cat to dogs with both dogs on leash, or perhaps just hold the cat and keep it calm while showing it to the dogs and correct any aggression the dogs might show. It’s certainly not an easy thing to do with old animals that haven’t been around different species from a young age.

16. Emily says:

The cuteness is more than I can handle. Now in addition to the other dog I wanted to get … I need a fox and a cat. Thanks for making me smile with this awesome picture.

17. katha says:

extremly amazing picture and sad to read that lucky already died. your pic is making its way through the internet. would be great if you allow to use it as i. e. wallpaper (and you should keep an eye on the copyright!). thank you for sharing anyway.

18. Catherine says:

Oh-my-god- that is amazing cuteness.

19. Brad Owen says:

Lucky the fox is not going anywhere! thats my bet

20. Giusi says:

one of the most fantastic pics ever seen, thank you for sharing and best of luck for you and your wonderful home andfamily!